Saturday, February 22, 2014

Pizza night, birthday party, cookies, cake ...

Before you think I've totally gone off the rails, let me just say - I survived! I survived Quinn's 1st birthday - his party, pizza, chips, cake, cookies, beer, even wine! I went in to this challenge with the idea that I would have a cheat day here and there. I went in to it thinking I'd have coffee and  a slice of cake for his birthday and wine on occasion. Not going to lie, it was not easy yesterday (or the day before when I baked the cake) - but I managed to pull through without cheating (too much). So yes, I had a taste of cake. But truly, just a taste - when it was all baked and frosted, cut and served.   Thursday, when I baked the cake, I did not eat one speck of sugar or one lick of batter. Success!



So, for Friday, I had decided that I would have a salad for dinner (because I was already making one to go along with the pizza) and then treat myself to a small piece of cake and a glass of wine. But the thing is, when Friday arrived, I didn't really want to cheat. I didn't want to wreck the momentum I had going. So I decided just to "play it by ear".

The evening was super fun. I made a big healthy salad with chicken and apples and avocado and pumpkin seeds. It was super delicious and I didn't even miss having pizza. I did eat a lot of salad though. At cake time, I was so busy serving and picking up that I didn't really miss that either. And when I finally decided to have a little glass of wine -- wine was gone. But I was okay with that, too. Picking through the carnage of the party, I laid eyes on Nora's cake plate -- a little piece left. So I ate it.

It. Was. Delicious.

But, I could see how it could be a slippery slope, so I busied myself with cleaning up. There was a lot of cleaning up to do, after all. 

I say all this, not to brag or sound all holier than thou, but to put it out there -- if I can do this, anyone can. I truly am such a sugar addict. A party eater. A muncher. A cruncher. Okay, sorry -- now I'm just getting cheesy.  I hope you find this encouraging and not at all preachy or braggy.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Happy Birthday, Quinny!





No comments: